The Cathedral

     The process of how the narrator changes over the course of the story made me fall in love with it. The start is so rough around the edges. The careless tone of the narrator at the beginning actually did intrigue me to be interested. Personally, had the narrator began with a more neutral, average tone I would have been less interested due to the story not standing out from the other readings. Understandably, the narrator is designed to be unlikable. I genuinely believed Robert was going to be hurt or murdered when he first arrived. Especially with Robert's willful oblivion towards the narrators apparent tones and feelings about him. 
      The epiphany the narrator goes through as he and Robert have a meaningful drawing session demonstrates the complexity of human beings even in the most insufferable characters of prose. The spotlight on dynamic character design makes the ending of the story feel nearly as fulfilling,in fact arguably more so, as the end of a novel would be. Whether for ill or praise, arousing such a degree of emotion in the reader is something I can only strive for in my own works. 

Comments

  1. Only the crappiest characters to start can have that kind of extreme turn-around, which I love in this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts