Hamlet Week

The week we covered Hamlet was a good demonstration of how potentially irate individuals can become over literary theories. The Incest Debacle reminded me of the multitude of power that personality and individual feelings can dominate some criticism. Either side made sense in moment, it can certainly be a small social experiment on the power of simple taboos. Going over something as ubiquitous as Hamlet somehow still brings with it something that i hadn't seen before.
I really do enjoy the idea of Hamlet as a comedy and the metadrama aspects are undeniable. I'm certainly someone who just has an appreciation for the special layer of ironies that come with the puns of a metadrama. At the same time it is still jarring to think about a work that is constantly revered as this primary source of all dramas everywhere. I always find it understated how normal Hamlet actually is as a character. He's an angsty teenager with a dead father, of course he's the epitome of drama. I remember a time where i nearly rivaled that level of dramatism in my day to day life. We all wish our flesh would melt at some point in our lives.

Comments

Popular Posts